Tuesday, April 26, 2011

A Little About Me and Bread

Yesterday I did not eat anything containing eggs.  I also stayed home all day, which makes this easy to do. I am a substitute teacher, so my job is to go to a different classroom in the district every day.  Well, testing season is upon us, so I am only working a couple days a week. When I am not working I spend a lot of time at home working on my Master's. I stay busy.

Anyways, let's talk about bread. My biggest challenge when it comes to eating without eggs is bread. When you buy a general ol' loaf of bread in the bread isle of the grocery store you can find bread without eggs.  Bakery bread, on the other hand, appears to be a different story.  I have done a lot of research about bread trying to figure out what to do. As a substitute teacher I bring lunch with me every day and I often rely on peanut butter and jelly to get me through the afternoon.

Many breads have eggs in them, many do not.  Sometimes bagels have bread in them, sometimes they don't. I have read various sources online that state that sometimes, while egg isn't listed as in ingredient, it is used as a glaze to create that shiny appearance. So I ask myself, what do I do?

While I look at the bread that is currently in my kitchen with suspicion I have decided that I need to start looking for vegan bread.  Is there such a thing? I am sure there is somewhere. I might have to start looking for and trying vegan bread just to be on the safe side. I am sure vegan bread wouldn't have yeast, so I am not sure such a thing exists.  If by any chance anyone should read this and has any information on the subject please leave a comment!  Until then, I will have to see what I can find and write about it as I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment